An example of research created by our Political Science Cohort:
“Neo-Corporatism and the 2008 Financial Crisis: The Relations between Western States and Supranational Corporations”
Nathaniel C. Buechler
Associate Professor Carolyn Forestiere
This research project examines why German insurance industries were more sheltered from economic hardship in the 2008 Economic Crisis relative to their American counterparts. The project suggests that Germany’s extensive use of Neo-Corporatism is a primary explanation of German superior performance. Neo-Corporatism is a system of interest group aggregation whereby government, corporations, and labour unions work together to find consensus for economic policies. To assess the role that Neo-Corporatism demonstrated in sheltering German insurance industries, this study investigated the differences between Allianz in Germany and AIG in the United States. Specifically I find that AIG sold Credit Default Swaps allowing for economic vulnerability and other negative consequences of the Securitization process, while Allianz encountered less adverse financial exposure due to differences throughout American and German markets. In sum, Neo-Corporatism is the key difference to the success of Allianz.
This work was funded through an Undergraduate Research Award from the UMBC Office of Undergraduate Education.
Meet a research student:
Benefits for Political Science students:
- Work with a faculty member
- Experience hands-on research
- Reinforce classroom learning
- Prepare for work or graduate school
- Travel to national conferences
- Receive grant funding
- Publish independent research
- Consensus and Legitimacy in Supreme Court Opinions
Wayne Heavener. UMBC Review Vol.12.
- Afro-Porteño Identity Today
Vivian Ekey. UMBC Review Vol.12.
So, what are you doing next summer?
- UC Irvine Off-Campus Opportunities
- UC Irvine Grad Division SURF Program Deadline: FEB 8
- Summer Research Initiative (SRI) *Application open: NOV 1 – FEB 10
- Conflict Management and Peace Studies Deadline: APR 11 (’16)
- The Leadership Alliance Deadline: FEB 1
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation Applications accepted: NOV 1 – FEB 10
- Case Western Reserve University
- UMBC Summer Research Opportunities
- Summer Research Opportunities Spreedsheet
Learn how to find research internships and job opportunities using UMBCworks!
For more information, check out this department’s website: