Undergraduate Research Awards
Undergraduate Research Awards provide up to $1,500 to undergraduate students to support their research or creative work with a UMBC faculty mentor on an original project. UMBC students of all years and disciplines are invited to apply, as long as they will remain enrolled at UMBC long enough to complete the proposed work.
Start NOW to prepare a high quality research proposal
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017 – First day Undergraduate Research Award Applications will be accepted.
- Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5 p.m.
– Deadline for submission of Undergraduate Research Award proposals, including letter and faculty support form.
- March 13 – 17, 2017 – Undergraduate Research Award faculty review committees meet.
- Monday, March 27, 2017 – Applicants are notified of selection decisions.
- Wednesday, April 26, 2017 – The 2017-2018 Undergraduate Research Award Scholars and their advisors are introduced at URCAD.
- May 3, 2017 from 12-1pm UC 312– 2016-2017 URA Scholars Closing Luncheon with the Dean and Provost
- May 5, 2017 from 12-1:30pm, Sondheim 103 – New URA Scholars contract signing and photos taken
- May 8, 2017– 2016-2017 URA Scholars’ final reports due- email to email@example.com
- June 2017 – April 2018 – Award period
Employers and graduate admissions offices like to see practica recorded on your transcript because it indicates that your internship, co-op or research position was a significant learning experience, approved and vetted by the University.
Applications and information on how to apply can be found here.
URA creative projects have included:
Light Inhibits Light
The Undergraduate Research Awards program is funded and managed by the Office of Undergraduate Education. Approximately $72,000 in funding was awarded in May 2011. The program began in 1995 – 1996 as an initiative of the Office of the Provost.