Undergraduate Research Awards provide up to $1,500 to undergraduate students to support their research or creative work with a UMBC faculty mentor on an original project. UMBC students of all years and disciplines are invited to apply, as long as they will remain enrolled at UMBC long enough to complete the proposed work.
**New! Entrepreneurship URAs provide up to $1,500 to undergraduate researchers to support the development of a solution to either a technical or social problem in collaboration with a UMBC faculty mentor. These solutions can be products or services, address a social or “green” concern, or promote ideas that generate artistic value. To be eligible for an Entrepreneurship URA, you must be enrolled as a UMBC student for the duration of the work proposed. For more information, contact Vivian Armor, Director, Alex. Brown Center for Entrepreneurship 410-455-5740, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start NOW to prepare a high quality research proposal
Key Dates for 2018-19 URAs
- November 1, 2017 – First day Undergraduate Research Award applications will be accepted.
- Friday, February 16, 2018 at 5 p.m.– Deadline for submission of Undergraduate Research Award proposals, including letter and faculty support form.
- March 5 – 9, 2018 – Undergraduate Research Award faculty review committees meet.
- Monday, March 19, 2018 – Applicants are notified of selection decisions.
- Wednesday, April 25, 2018 – The 2017-2018 Undergraduate Research Award Scholars and their advisors are introduced at URCAD.
- May, 2018 from 12-1pm UC 312– 2016-2017 URA Scholars Closing Luncheon with the Dean and Provost
- May, 2018 from 12-1:30pm, Sondheim 103 – New URA Scholars contract signing and photos taken
- May 7, 2018– 2016-2017 URA Scholars’ final reports due- email to email@example.com
- June 2018 – April 2019 – Award period
Employers and graduate admissions offices like to see practica recorded on your transcript because it indicates that your internship, co-op or research position was a significant learning experience, approved and vetted by the University. Applications and information on how to apply can be found here.
How to Write a Winning URA Proposal
Learn about what is and is not funded by URA awards, how to construct a research proposal and budget, and how to ask for faulty letters of recommendation.
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
113 Sherman Hall, A-wing
URA creative projects have included:
Light Inhibits Light
The Undergraduate Research Awards program is funded and managed by the Office of Undergraduate Education. Approximately $77,000 in funding was awarded in May 2017. The program began in 1995 – 1996 as an initiative of the Office of the Provost.