An example of research created by our English Cohort:
“Americanized Pedagogy: Journey to El Salvador”
Casey L. Gray
Associate Professor Jean Fernandez
Professor Lucille McCarthy
The experience of North American teachers abroad is an understudied aspect in contemporary research on English as a Foreign Language. To concretely internalize Popular Education pedagogies and how or why they may be incorporated in the United States, I became a volunteer teacher of English and student of Spanish at the The Melida Anaya Montes Language School of the Centro de Intercambio y Solidaridad. This study analyzes in a report of teacher research the present day applications of Popular Education pedagogies in El Salvador. It also addresses how these pedagogies under the influence of globalization and North American educators can in fact limit rather than promote education as a practice of freedom. Drawing on the philosophies of theorists John Dewey and Paulo Freire, I conducted a case study which explores the effects of capitalistic ideologies on both teachers and students. Through ideologies of consumerism, the projection of absolute ignorance and deficit thinking, this study uncovers how the classroom can become a center for oppressive relationships and subordination.
This work was funded through an Undergraduate Research Award from the UMBC Office of Undergraduate Education.
Meet a research student:
Benefits for English students:
- Work with a faculty member
- Experience hands-on research
- Reinforce classroom learning
- Prepare for work or graduate school
- Travel to national conferences
- Receive grant funding
- Publish independent research
- “Alas, it is I, I, I”: The Mirror and the
Divided Self in the Dramatic Monologues
of Augusta Webster
Danielle Kennedy. UMBC Review Vol.12.
- Oscar Wilde: Degenerate or Revolutionary?
Sarah Lichtner. UMBC Review vol.10.
So, what are you doing next summer?
- Pre-Doctoral Scholar’s Institute (PDSI) Deadline: FEB 2
- Euro Scholars
- Fall Semester Deadline: APR 1
- Spring Semester Deadline: OCT 1
- The Minority Science Writers Internship
The American Association for the Advancement of Science
- The Leadership Alliance Deadline: FEB 1
- Case Western Reserve University
- UMBC Summer Research Opportunities
- Summer Research Opportunities Spreedsheet
Learn how to find research internships and job opportunities using UMBCworks!
For more information, check out this department’s website: